Every vehicle needs maintenance to guarantee and extend its useful life. Even more so with the geography of the city and the bad state of its roads that causes vehicles to deteriorate rapidly.
That is why certain elements must be changed: oil, brake pads, timing belt, tires, etc … But it is also important to check other mechanisms every so often to avoid unexpected breakdowns.
Changing the timing belt in time will save money since the failure of this can cause a very expensive breakdown, which can even leave the vehicle in disuse. There are other elements not so common, less visible, but equally important.
Pay attention to the filters
Oil filter: it must be changed every time the oil change is made to avoid it getting dirty with the impurities sedimented in the filter. In a modern car it is usually every year or 5,000 km, in the oldest models, the change must be made every 3,000 km.
“Change the filter every time you change the oil”
- Engine air filter: many times it is enough to ‘clean’ and ‘blow’; It should be checked at least once a year, although it tends to hold more, depending on how much dust exists in the area where we usually move.
- Fuel filter: it is normal to replace it every 4 years or 60,000 km. It is very important in modern gasoline direct injection engines, in order to avoid damage to the high-pressure pump and injectors.
- The air filter of the living room (air conditioning): it should be changed once a year, this way we will avoid the proliferation of mites and allergies, by sifting the air and freeing it of impurities. In addition, its change can avoid breakdowns in the air conditioning system, bad odors and a higher energy consumption due to the reduction of air flow.
- Oil filter in the automatic gearbox: it is vital for the life of the gearbox, it must be changed along with the hydraulic fluid every 60,000 km.
Oils / Lubricants
- The oil change is extremely important and it is recommended:
- Perform a visual check of the oil level every 3,000 km.
- Respect the deadlines and the maximum kilometers of each oil by type, vehicle, and services. Taking into account the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Do not mix different oils or viscosities since you could cause an alteration in their properties.
- A higher oil quality, greater guarantee for a good maintenance of the vehicle.
It is one of the elements that break down with time more than with the kilometers traveled and must be changed every two years.
Having an accident or repairing an ABS valve body is infinitely more expensive than changing the brake fluid within a maximum of two years. It can cost you 30 times more than what 1 liter of liquid costs.
The same fluid is usually used for the clutch mechanism in cars with hydraulic control: we must replace it too, taking advantage of the fact that we do the same with the brake fluid.
Protects the chassis or lower part of the vehicle from rainwater and other moisture factors. This anticorrosive should be applied to all new vehicles and those without any oxidation index for protection to be effective and should be renewed annually.
If the chassis is oxidized, the anticorrosive can be applied but it will oxidize again quickly, so applying it can be of little use. However, it can help that you first perform a sandblasting procedure that will thoroughly polish the surface, yet you will have to renew the anticorrosive well before the year of use.